Monday 6 April 2009

Straight from the horses mouth

So, the Grand National. First of all, DAMN YOU "RAMBLING MINSTER"! IT'S THE GLUE FACTORY FOR YOU!

Sorry. Anyway, it was a cracking race. I know nothing about horse racing, but I love the way that most people become a punter just for that one race, and I also love the bit where there's about 2 fences to go, and one of the co-commentators excitedly hands over to Jim McGrath, who has a fabulous voice.

But how about this news today: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7985464.stm

Now I saw that at the time, and I thought it was a little bit unfair and patronising. As Balding is well-known in those circles, I presumed it was an "in-joke", but I did feel it was a bit tactless. But the major problem I have here is that apparently almost 1,500 people complained about it. Seriously, what the heck is that all about? 1,500 took the effort, on a Saturday afternoon, to find a phone number for OFCOM or something, phone up and formally complain about that.

Not defending her at all, but come on people, get a life. Almost as bad as Manuelgate, where thousands of people complained despite not actually listening to the programme at the time.

2 comments:

  1. I don't like Claire Balding, give me Channel 4's Derek Thompson anyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A "bit tactless"!!!! I'd have said, "Have that, horse features!" and punched her right in the gob, being so downright rude on national TV. As it is, I missed the GRand National, as I have every year since 1977 - yes, Red Rum won last time I watched it! (THough I do remember the chaotic "false start" year when the whole field set off and the race had to be scrapped. That was ace!

    ReplyDelete