Sunday 22 March 2009

Laraine and Owain – An Apology

This afternoon I received a 'comment' from Laraine Adams. You might remember Laraine from something I posted last Monday, and which you can read again if you find my archives on the right of this page and click on “Let Me Tell You A Story...”

Laraine isn't too happy with me. I could have “rejected” her comment and thus not published it, but I'm not a coward, folks, which is why not only have I published her comment, but I'm also going to put it here as well, so that no-one can miss it:

Laraine Adams said...
Nice to see the article has been read, but I would like to point out that Owain had been out of hospital for 2 days after suffering a Stroke when he proposed. Not sure if you saw that bit of the article. I'm guessing you don't know many people who have had Strokes but if you had, you'd be aware that unfortunately Owain can't fly for 4 months, therefore whisking me to Paris to propose on top of the Eiffel Tower is out of the question, as is pretty much any sort of travel - he can't drive again until he gets an all clear from the doctor - so no travelling to a romantic spot somewhere on the Coast either, where it's 'quiet, romantic, peaceful and absolutely fucking freezing.' Also, just to reiterate HE HAD A STROKE!!!! That means very little energy, difficulty in walking and talking, weakness down the left hand side and a degree of brain damage. It's nice to know you think we are worthy of comment but to be honest I think until you've grown up a little, keep your comments to yourself. Prat.
22 March 2009 15:04

Laraine, the impression I got from the article was that your partner Owain was completely fine (in the long-term, after initial incident), thanks to your speedy and live-saving actions. Nowhere in the article* does it state that he suffered any of the symptoms mentioned by yourself in your comment. Heck the headline is: "Girl saves boyfriend from stroke following TV advert".
As I assumed** that Owain was completely fine, I was just trying to make a humorous point about something that had struck me whilst reading the article. I could not for the life of me understand why he proposed to you there, assuming*** that it is not your 'special place'. It was not mentioned anywhere in the article that it was.

However, having re-read my post, this paragraph:

'In a sodding tea room?! Jesus wept. I can only hope that this tea room is special to them, otherwise this is ridiculously lame. Put some effort into it man, jeez.'

was over-the-top, poor form and inexcusable. For that, I apologise to both of you. I cringed reading it, to be honest.

Just one final thing, Laraine. I know that you stumbled upon my blog by typing your own name into Google. I decided to do that also, and I found this:

http://www.sundaymercury.net/news/midlands-news/2009/03/22/birmingham-daredevils-leap-for-charity-from-fort-dunlop-66331-23202450/

Massive respect for what you and Owain are trying to do, and as a constructive way of apologising, I will be donating £10 to The Stroke Association people. If other readers wish to donate, here is a handy link for them:

http://www.stroke.org.uk/donate/make_a_donation.html

So, sorry guys, and if Owain is offended by me calling you 'kinda cute', I also apologise for that. Thankyou for your comment, and if you wish to comment further, I will of course publish it. Have a great wedding day, and I wish you all the best.

*http://www.shropshirestar.com/2009/03/14/the-girl-who-saved-my-life/
**I know, never assume.
***I did it again!

3 comments:

  1. I call that responsible blogging. Well done (and you couldn't have known most of this in advance so not your fault).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your reply to my comment. I was not expecting you to publish it and I'm really impressed you did, so thank you for that and your apology. Owain and I also really appreciate your donation to the Stroke Association, a very nice gesture.

    (this bit doesn't need to be published - If you are interested in hearing more about Strokes and what your donation will do to help, Owain is happy to tell you more if you fancy meeting him for a coffee)

    Laraine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laraine,

    With these comments I can't edit them and can't just publish bits of them - I either publish them in it's entire form or not at all. So that's why everyone will see the bit in the brackets.

    Thanks for the invite, but I would prefer to keep some anonymity. All's well that ends well, I guess.

    ReplyDelete