Wednesday 25 March 2009

We Can Be Heroes

I read on a forum the other day that Bret "The Hitman" Hart is bringing out a book and will be coming to Birmingham next month to do a book signing. God, reading that brought back memories.

When I was a little kid I had heroes, as I'm sure everyone reading this had. Most of them were United players - Schmeichel, King Eric, Kanchelskis, Hughes. Some other sportsmen as well - Nick Faldo, the Chicago Bulls trio of MJ, Rodman and Pippen, Nasser Hussain, Alec Stewart, Darren Gough. But they all paled in comparison with The Hitman.

I used to watch WWF wrestling every night after primary school, and nothing got me in a fervour more than Bret Hart. Just his entrance music was enough to induce me into a manic fit.
I used to jump with joy when he won, and be on the verge of tears when bad men used to gang up on him and make him lose. And then at school the next day, my friends and I would passionately talk about the events as well as try to kill each other by copying the moves.
I also had a fascination with Bret's shades. Being a "good guy", when he came out to the ring he would always take off these ludicrous pink sunglasses and give them to a little brat in the crowd. I would have given my left arm for a pair of those, at the time. Here they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOWlhrQV9iM I remember that advert, brilliant at the time, cringeworthy now.

Anyway, I know what you're thinking - so, Ewar, are you going to buy his book and queue up to meet him?

Sadly, the answer is no. I'm a bit too old for all that now, and I would feel rather stupid standing in a queue full of either 30 year olds wearing wrestling belts around their waists, or 11 year olds with their John Cena t-shirts who heard this dude used to be good.

But, thanks Bret. They were fun times - the joy and innocence of youth that can't be replicated. And just remember folks - he was the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever goddamn will be.

2 comments:

  1. What? Bret Hart in Birmingham!!! Guess who'll be getting another book signed? (Runs and hides) Seriously though, he's no Giant Haystacks is he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, well, if you're going to go...

    ReplyDelete