Monday 19 April 2010

The Importance of Being Kind

Hullo all. I have 3 things to direct at you in this here blog entry today.

1) Thanks for all your comments about the leadership debate live-blog. It got quite a few readers away from "the regulars" as well, so despite it's challenging nature it was well worth doing. I shan't be live-blogging the other two, but I'm sure I'll cast my eye over them.

As I mentioned at the time, I think it's safe to say that Nick Clegg was the clear winner of the debate, however it's worth taking a step back before you go rushing off to proclaim your love for the Lib Dems. They are the party that will get rid of Trident, which is wrong. They would legalise lots of nasty drugs, which is batshit insane. They opposed Iraq, which I think is wrong (but lets not have that debate right now) and lots of other silly things. A vote for them might go some way to stop the Tories getting in however, so it's a tricky one.

I think if in doubt, just go for Labour and hope for the best.

2) I'm afraid after this blog entry I'll be taking another little blogging break. It's getting to the "business end" of the uni year now and I really need to knuckle down and try and salvage something from the year. I'll still be knocking around, just won't be updating this as much as I (hopefully) will be throughout the summer. I've also got some other stuff on that I need to pay my full attention to, so time-wasting on my blog is not really an option at the moment.

3) Before I leave you in peace however, I just want to give you a gentle prod in the direction of www.postpals.co.uk. So many of us (and I absolutely include myself in this statement) moan about things. Small things. Trivial things. Things which, really, shouldn't concern us that much. Shouldn't concern us at all.

I have to go to the dentist later, for a check-up, and last night I moaned about that - having to go "all the way" to Priorslee for a 5 minute check-up and then go "all the way" back home again. Heartbreaking, I'm sure you'll agree.

Afterwards however I was alerted to Postpals, and whilst reading I began to cry. Because for the parents of a terminally ill young child, suffering from some awful condition I've never heard of and never want to hear of, they have a right to moan. They have a right to say "Why me?" or "Why us?". I don't, when I moan about a train being late by 5 minutes, or getting the wrong flavour milkshake at McDonalds. I don't, at all.

So many charities and organisations nowadays want your money, simple as. Postpals don't though - they ask you to send a card or a letter to a sick child. Not for any financial reward or gain in anyway, other than hopefully making someone worse off than you smile. If you can't be bothered to even do that, you can e-mail or sign an online guestbook. It's as much for the parents and any siblings as it is for the child itself, and I think it's a fabulous idea. Just a 5 minute read will make you stop and think about things.

I'm going to be taking time out a bit later to write to someone on there, and I hope you join me in doing so. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment